Monday, June 23, 2008

Nebbi

I finally got out of Kampala to see a bit of the rest of Uganda last week. Leaving at 6am, I arrived in the NW part of Uganda around 4pm. There was the necessary pit stop, a stop for freshly roasted warm sweet road-side cassava, and of course the stops for the family of my host along the way. I had planned on taking a local bus but was invited at the last minute to travel with Mama Phoebe, the Archbishop's wife. What a blessing to be in a car when traveling the many kilometers of potholed roads. At several points vehicles either drive half on the road and half on the dirt side or fully on the dirt side. There were stretches of road that were pristine, especially through the wildlife reserve, where I saw multiple monkeys and baboons.

Once I got there, I was the guest of Nebbi Diocese of Uganda. This diocese borders Congo and is poor. With the price of fuel increasing so, the gas tanks run around empty and the bishop took a credit note to the gas station on his last trip to the capital to ensure cash for the return. This diocese is also rich - in beauty, natural resources and human spirit.

I woke in the morning to fresh air and green rolling hills. The first day my host (Rev. Jane, one of three female priests of the diocese) and I spent 2.5 hours at the retreat center, walking around the 9 small stone buildings that make a prayer hike.

With little notice, I was asked to preach to the pastor's wives conference happening. In the region there are 34 parishes, each with one priest and about 10 churches. Twenty-One of the wives of these parish priests had gathered, some with their youngest children in tow to fellowship, pray and encourage one another. The talk, originally to be at 8pm started at 10pm. I finished in half an hour to allow for a little business before the power went off, as it does every night around 11pm. I was asked to lead the devotions the next morning upon finishing.

The next day I led devotions for the women at the local training center (in tailoring and catering) then lead the devotions for the pastor's wives. it was a busy morning. The rest of the time in the region was spent visiting - people, programs, homes, churches, and markets.

I am so glad I was able to get this perspective and see village life in action. There is a simpleness to the routine of life, but the reality of fetching water and dependence on the land leads to a life always on the edge. The community life supports and sustains as a matter of necessity. Most of the pastor's here farm/garden every morning. Indeed, even the bishop's wife was out in her "garden" for many hours while I was there.

Having grown up a city-girl, the closest experience I connect this time with was Summer Camp - yet even there we had no dependence on land for food. But, the spirit felt the same -- for me Christian camping was a time of intense experiences, close friendships being built and deep spiritual growth. I can say the same for my time in Nebbi.

No comments: